Your Down Payment

Lots of people who would like to buy a new home can qualify for a loan, but they can't afford a large down payment. Want to look into getting a new home, but aren't sure how you should get together a down payment?

Reduce expenses and save. Scrutinize your budget to uncover ways you can cut expenses to save for your down payment. You could also try enrolling in an automatic savings plan at your bank to automatically have a predetermined amount from your take-home pay moved into your savings account. You would be wise to look into some big expenses in your spending history that you can do without, or reduce, at least temporarily. For example, you might decide to move into less expensive housing, or stay local for your vacation.

Work a second job and sell things you do not need. Look for an additional job. This can be exhausting, but the temporary trial can help you get your down payment. You can also seriously consider the possessions you really need and the things you could be able to sell. Multiple small items might add up to a nice sum at a garage or tag sale. You might also research what any investments you have may sell for.

Borrow from your retirement plan. Research the details of your individual plan. You may borrow money from a 401(k) for you down payment or withdraw from an Individual Retirement Account. Make sure you understand about any penalties, the way this will affect on taxes, and repayment obligation.

Ask for a generous gift from family. Many homebuyers somtimes receive down payment help from caring family members who may be able to help get them in their first home. Your family members may be willing to help you reach the goal of owning your own home.

Contact housing finance agencies. Special mortgate loan programs are provided to buyers in certain circumstances, like low income buyers or homebuyers looking to remodel houses in a targeted place, among others. With the help of a housing finance agency, you probably will receive an interest rate that is below market, down payment assistance and other perks. These types of agencies can help eligible homebuyers with a lower interest rate, help with your down payment, and provide other benefits. These non-profit agencies exist to promote home ownership in particular neighborhoods.

Find out about low-down and no-down mortgages.

  • Federal Housing Administration (FHA) mortgages

    The Federal Housing Administration (FHA), which functions as part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), plays a significant role in assisting low to moderate-income buyers qualify for mortgages. Part of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development(HUD), FHA (Federal Housing Administration) aids individuals who need to get mortgage loans. FHA aids first-time homebuyers and others who would not be eligible for a typical mortgage by themselves, by providing mortgage insurance to lenders. Interest rates with an FHA loan generally feature the market interest rate, but the down payment for an FHA mortgage are smaller than those of conventional loans. Closing costs may be financed within the mortgage, while the down payment may be as low as 3% of the purchase price.

  • VA mortgage loans

    VA loans are guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterens and service people can get a VA loan, which usually offers a reasonable fixed rate of interest, no down payment, and minimal closing costs. While the mortgage loans don't originate from the VA, the department certifies applicants by issuing eligibility certificates.

  • Piggy-back loans

    A piggy-back loan is a second mortgage that closes at the same time as the first. Most of the time, the first mortgage covers 80% of the purchase price and the "piggyback" funds 10%. The borrower covers the remaining 10%, instead of needing to pull together the usual 20% down payment.

  • Carry-Back loans

    In a "carry back" situation, the seller agrees to loan you a piece of his own equity to assist you with your down payment money. You would borrow the majority of the purchase price from a traditional mortgage lender and finance the remaining amount with the seller. Typically you'll pay a somewhat higher rate on the loan financed by the seller.

No matter your method of putting together your down payment, the thrill of reaching the goal of living in your own home will be just as great!

Need to talk about your down payment? Give us a call: 866-840-8745 x2.

Looking to Buy?

Are you looking to buy a house? Let us help you. Just fill out as much of the information below that you want and we'll get right back to you, with no obligation to you. We guarantee your privacy.

Your Information
Some Details